Registration Opens Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET
BOSTON – Registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon will open on Monday, September 9, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. ET.
The Boston Athletic Association will use the same process to register qualified open runners as it has used in recent years, allowing the fastest qualifiers in their gender and age group to register first. Qualifiers for the 2020 Boston Marathon will meet challenging standards that are 5 minutes faster, per gender and age group, than the qualifying standards from 2013 through 2019.
The 124th Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 20, 2020, Patriots’ Day in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. For the 35th consecutive year, John Hancock will sponsor the Boston Marathon. Registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon will be held entirely online at www.baa.org. The qualification window for the 2020 Boston Marathon began on Saturday, September 15, 2018.
“Achieving a Boston Marathon qualifying time and earning a spot on the starting line in Hopkinton is something athletes from across the world strive for each year,” said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Chief Executive Officer. “The determination displayed by Boston Marathon participants is unrivaled, which helps distinguish the Boston Marathon as the world’s most meaningful road race. We are grateful to the running community for their unwavering support and commitment to the Boston Marathon.”
Achieving one’s qualifying standard does not guarantee acceptance into the Boston Marathon due to field size limitations. Those who are fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender group will be accepted.
Working in cooperation with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the eight cities and towns along the Boston Marathon route, the B.A.A. will set and announce the field size for the 2020 Boston Marathon this summer. In recent years, the Boston Marathon has had field sizes of 30,000 official entrants.
2020 BOSTON MARATHON OPEN DIVISION REGISTRATION DETAILS
Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, beginning with the fastest qualifiers.
- On Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET, eligible runners who have met the qualifying standard for their age and gender by 20 minutes or more may register.
- On Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more.
- On Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standard by five minutes or more.
- Registration will close for week one on Saturday, September 14 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
If space remains after the first week of registration (September 9-14):
- Registration will re-open for all qualifiers from Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET through Wednesday, September 18 at 5:00 p.m. ET.
- As during the first week of registration, the fastest qualifiers by gender and age group will be granted entry as space allows.
If space remains after the first two weeks of registration:
- On Monday, September 23 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards.
- Registration will remain open for valid qualifiers on a first-come, first-served basis until the maximum field size is reached, or until Sunday, October 27 at 5:00 p.m. ET (whichever comes first).
2020 BOSTON MARATHON OPEN DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS (Effective Saturday, September 15, 2019)
All standards below are based on official submitted net time.
|18-34||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 30min 00sec|
|35-39||3hrs 05min 00sec||3hrs 35min 00sec|
|40-44||3hrs 10min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
|45-49||3hrs 20min 00sec||3hrs 50min 00sec|
|50-54||3hrs 25min 00sec||3hrs 55min 00sec|
|55-59||3hrs 35min 00sec||4hrs 05min 00sec|
|60-64||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|65-69||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|70-74||4hrs 20min 00sec||4hrs 50min 00sec|
|75-79||4hrs 35min 00sec||5hrs 05min 00sec|
|80 and over||4hrs 50min 00sec||5hrs 20min 00sec|
2020 BOSTON MARATHON PARA ATHLETE REGISTRATION
Registration for Para Athletic Divisions and Adaptive Programs of the 2020 Boston Marathon will open on Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET and will follow the same registration timeline detailed above.
The Para Athletic Divisions include a competitive wheelchair division for athletes who use racing wheelchairs in track and road racing events and hold a national or World Para Athletics classification. Para Athletics Divisions also include competitive opportunities for ambulatory classified Para athletes with vision impairments and athletes who run with prostheses or have an upper limb impairment.
2020 BOSTON MARATHON PARA ATHLETICS DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS (Effective Saturday, September 15, 2018)
All standards below are based on official submitted net time. For wheelchair athletes:
|T53 / T54 / T54||18 – 39||2hrs 00min 00sec||2hrs 25min 00sec|
|40 – 49||2hrs 15min 00sec||2hrs 40min 00sec|
|50 and over||2hrs 30min 00sec||2hrs 55min 00sec|
|T51 / T52 / T33||18 – 39||2hrs 45min 00sec||3hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 – 49||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||3hrs 15min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
For athletes with vision impairment seeking entry in the Para Athletics Division:
|T13||18 – 39||3hrs 40min 00sec||4hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 – 49||3hrs 55min 00sec||4hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 15min 00sec||4hrs 45min 00sec|
|T11 / T12||18 – 39||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|40 – 49||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 25min 00sec||4hrs 55min 00sec|
For athletes with upper or lower limb impairments seeking entry into the Para Athletics Division:
|Class||Qualifying Standard (Both Men and Women, Age 18 and over)|
|T61 – T64||5hrs 40min 00sec|
|T45 / T46||4hrs 55min 00sec|
Visit Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs of the 2020 Boston Marathon for all of the Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs qualifying times and entry procedures.
- Though the B.A.A. will notify registrants upon the completion of their registration form, athletes are not officially entered into the race until their qualifying time is verified. The amount of time it takes for qualifying times to be verified varies for each individual athlete and may take up to several days (depending on the qualifying event).
- The qualification window for the 2020 Boston Marathon will remain open until the conclusion of registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon.
- The qualification window for the 125th Boston Marathon on April 19, 2021 will be announced following registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon.
- Registration dates and qualifying standards for the 2021 Boston Marathon have not yet been announced.
Source: Boston Athletic Association